Saturday, August 22, 2009

New to this blogging thing...


  Well, here we go.  After realizing that many mothers out there have blog websites I figure, why not?  It will give people an opportunity to see my life as a mother, daughter, and wife outside of Facebook, My Space, Twitter, etc.  I hope this gives my friends and family a more personal look at our lives and to grow with us. Please be patient with me.  I promise to update as often as I can and post pictures as well. 
As many of you know, my husband Steve and I are living in Antofagasta, Chile.  Our two year old son Tyler was born here.  Many people ask how scary it was to have a baby in a foreign country.  Honestly, I was more scared of being a mother than I was of actually having a baby in a hospital and country where I was unfamiliar with the medical care.  I ended up having a C Section due to no dilation, but gave birth to a beautiful 6lb. 12oz baby boy on July 21, 2007 at 3:20pm.  The hospital was very old, but the care was fabulous and my doctor a godsend!  He encouraged me to speak Spanish throughout my entire pregnancy.  However, on the day Tyler was due to make his entrance Dr. Fritz knew how freaked out I was and spoke to me only in his broken English and the bedside manner was out of this world.  
Being here over 3 years has really put my life in perspective.  I do not take the little things for granted.  I am so blessed to have the opportunity to come home to America as often as we do and live the wonderful life that United States citizens do. Trust me, we have it pretty darn good in the North!!  We have very few friends here, but the ones we have we cherish and have made our experience here so worthwhile.  Some days are lonelier and longer than others.  We just remind ourselves that many people never get an chance like this and some have never even left the country.  Besides, what a cool story for Tyler to share with people throughout his life of where he was born and resided for a few years.
My little guy Tyler is my pride and joy.  I know it is so cliche.  But really, I sit and wonder what my life was like without him.  It is so hard to imagine.  Although he is 2 and going through a phase, he has quite the personality.  He tries to be independent and has an absolute melt down if you try to help.  He really does not like a lot of "loves", but when he is willing to give them it is a lasting experience.He is freakishly strong.  Those that know him will vouch. At times it takes two people to get him to sit in his car seat.  I am quite positive there will be a day where his skin will turn green and his pants will turn into cut off jean shorts like The Hulk.  I am usually breaking a sweat before we even get out the door. We are still trying to ween him of the binkies.  We have a rule where he is not allowed to have them in public, and so far so good.  As of now, he usually only wants them in bed or when he is upset.  Little by little, I suppose.  He goes to a play group 5 days a week at a place called Minnie's Kids.  He loves it and I see such a difference in him when he returns home.  We are hoping to raise a bilingual child and so far so good.  The words are far and few between, but nonetheless present.  
The next few months we have a lot going on.  Our dear friend Don is coming to Chile to work for close to two weeks.   Soon following, my sister will be coming the beginning of October for two weeks.  Steve leaves two days after her arrival to go hunt Alaskan Brown Bear in the states.  My friend Evelyne, Tyler and myself are going to the south of Chile to visit a old friend of mine that I met when I first arrived here.  We leave the beginning of September.  I will be sure to update you all with blogs and pics.
Until then, ciao!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment