Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Holidays in the USA















Once again I have failed as a blogger to keep you updated as often as I would like. But, here I am ready to let you "in the know".
Our trip home back to Montana (USA) this year was very short, but so worthwhile. I think this is the first time I took full advantage of utilizing every single minute I had with family and friends. Knowing that 30 days goes way too quick and it would be last time I saw them before June.
We arrived December 17th and let me tell you I have never been one to do last minute shopping and prepare for Christmas with very little time. But, I did it!!! 4 days to shop for 30 plus people was grueling. Apparently, I work well under pressure. Christmas eve was wonderful. We went to my parent's house for a few hours before church to do our gift exchange and to have a bite to eat. Afterwards, we met the Hatzell's at Trinity Lutheran Church for Xmas service. It was crowded and stuffy, but a beautiful service and great celebration for Jesus's B day! Following, we went out to my in laws for our annual dinner and gift exchange. This is always quite the event because there is paper flying everywhere, kids screaming, people wanting to know what one another got, etc. Organized chaos, for sure. It was a great day and for whatever reason, one that will stick with me for many years.
The following day Tyler and myself headed over to my sister Libby's place for a home cooked Christmas dinner. It was delicious and Tyler had so much fun playing with his older cousins. Steve joined us later and then after we went back out to my in laws for prime rib. I think I gained 20 pounds in two days. Fatty McFatterson!!!!
New Year's was a blast! Steve, with his parent's and younger sister Shannon headed to Las Vegas for a "business" trip while the rest of us were left behind. But that is okay, we decided to have an impromptu party out at their place! I sort of felt like I was in high school again because the parent's were away and we were taking full advantage. However, we had their permission and it was a huge success. So much fun and a great way to ring in 2010!!!!! One of the more fun New Year's I have had in awhile.
I think at this time it is appropriate to let you all know that we are moving back to the states!!!!!! More than likely June will be our last and final trip back to the states. I have very mixed emotions about the whole thing. I feel like Steve and I have grown so much in the past 4 years here and are ready to make that next step in our personal lives as well as his career. Nevertheless, I have met some amazing people in Chile and as much as I complain about certain situations or circumstances, I will miss it deeply. I live right next to the ocean and have beautiful weather year round. People dream about traveling and living abroad and never get the opportunity. I am so blessed to have had this chance to learn about myself, my husband, a foreign country, and to realize that the grass is not always greener. You get to different parts of the world and soon discover that people are the same. They have the same problems, the same joys, the same sorrow, the same smiles, the same smells, the same things. And one thing I will always remember that no matter where you go and for how long, once you get back "home" nothing has changed. People get older, change jobs, have more kids, move, but in the big picture nothing has significantly changed. I miss my family and friends terribly and this is what I have wanted for quite some time, but now that it is here, it is actually a very humbling experience. My son was born here so I will always have a deep connection with Chile and my hope is that he will one day want to come and live, or do whatever it is he needs to do to appreciate this beautiful country and the beautiful people that come along with it!!!!
Enjoy some pics from our stay on the States and I will see you next month...

No comments:

Post a Comment